WILLIAMSON AND HENRY PRIVACY NOTICE
Williamson & Henry will be the "controller" of the personal information that you provide us when you instruct us to act on your behalf.
When you become a client of Williamson & Henry, we will collect, store and use the personal information that you provide to us in your instructions and during the course of our Solicitor/client relationship. We may ask you for additional personal information during the course of our client/ Solicitor relationship, which shall be collected, stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our clients' personal information so that we can perform the services which you have contracted us to carry out on your behalf. We will use our clients' personal information to:
- provide you with legal advice, including by communicating with you by email, letter, telephone, text/instant message and/or any other means of communication agreed with you;
- represent you as your Solicitors in connection with the instructions provided by you; and
- respond to and communicate with clients regarding your questions, comments, support needs, complaints or concerns.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to provide you with legal advice and/or represent you as your Solicitors.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our clients' personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- promote or recommend our services, including by sending clients communications with information for upcoming events and legal updates;
- to keep estate agency clients informed about new properties on the market;
- to allow us to communicate with and verify, for the safety and security of our staff, the identity of house viewers; and
- invite our clients as guests to our events.
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our clients for the purposes of complying with our obligations under:
- the Law Society of Scotland requirements for Solicitors;
Anti Money Laundering requirements; and
Any other relevant statutory or legislative requirements
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for additional purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice with information on how we will use your information for these additional purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities and organisations to comply with statutory obligations.
We may also share personal data with our professional advisors for the purposes of taking advice.
Williamson & Henry employs third party suppliers to provide services, including IT, payroll, website management, accountancy, advocacy and external expert legal advice. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as "processors" and are subject to written contractual conditions to only apply that personal data under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we do share personal data with external third parties, we will only share such personal data as is strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients shall only process the disclosed personal data in accordance with those purposes.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is stored on our electronic and paper based filing system and our servers based in the UK and is accessed by our staff for the purposes set out above.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep our clients' personal data for set periods depending on the transaction type as mandated by the Law Society of Scotland. We have a data retention policy that sets out the periods for retaining and reviewing all information that we hold. This sets out the different retention periods and you can request a copy of this by using the contact details set out in the covering letter.
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at 13 St Mary Street, Kirkcudbright, DG6 4AA.
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a "subject access request";
- if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by Williamson & Henry will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office at www.ico.org.uk.
Privacy Notice V.1 as at 25.05.18