A delightful stone built detached period property dating back to around 1880 which retains many of its original features.
Craigville is a charming detached house which is centrally located in the heart of Kirkcudbright. The property has retained many of its original features including ornate ceiling cornicing, deep skirting boards, original doors and picture rails. Whilst perhaps in need of some modernisation both the electrics and central heating at the property have been recently updated.
Somewhere around 1889 Craigville became the family home of T.E. Lawrence the noted British archaeologist, military officer, diplomat, and writer, whose life was immortalised
in the classic film ‘Lawrence of Arabia’
This delightful property offers well-proportioned and flexible accommodation throughout and would suit a number of different purchasers.
Kirkcudbright is an attractive harbour town situated on the banks of the River Dee. The town itself is of historic and architectural interest with its ancient High Street, Tolbooth Arts Centre, Stewartry Museum and numerous galleries. Long frequented by artists, Kirkcudbright was home to the re-nowned artist, EA Hornel, one of the “Glasgow Boys”. This tradition is maintained today by a flourishing colony of painters and craft workers which has led to Kirkcudbright being named the “Artists’ Town”.
Kirkcudbright enjoys a wide variety of mainly family owned shops, pubs, hotels and restaurants, whilst offering a wide range of facilities, including its own golf course, marina, swimming pool and an active summer festivities programme, including its own Jazz Festival and Tattoo.
Craigville is accessed through a wrought iron gate off of St Mary Street with a path leading up to the splendid front entrance with original wooden door framed with leaded side windows on each side and working original doorbell.
The garden grounds at Craigville are just as spacious as the internal accommodation. Set back from St Mary Street the property has a delightfully private front garden bordered
by mature hedge with a pedestrian gate to the front and gravel driveway to one side. The front garden is mainly laid to lawn with mature shrubs.
The gravel driveway sweeps round to the rear of the property and provides ample parking for a number of cars. The large rear walled garden is mainly laid to lawn with a number of mature shrubs and perennial plants. To one side of the drive way and garden are number of useful outbuildings, which may have further development potential subject to obtaining planning consent.
STONE COAL BUNKER 7’5” x 5’4” (2.27m x 1.62)
Under slate roof. Cobbled Floor
FURTHER OUTHOUSE 7’5” x 5’4” (2.27m x 1.62)
Former stable with hayloft above. Cobbled floor.
FORMER COACH HOUSE 11’9” x 7’7” (3.59m x 2.31m)
Under slate roof. Concrete floor. Wooden sliding front door